Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Kids in our Kitchen

I haven’t done this very often since Jensyn was born, but I love to include the boys in making dinner or dessert when it’s possible.  I’m not a fancy cook – or even much more than a decent cook, honestly.  It’s all about having fun with my boys! One of our favorites is crushing crackers for breaded pork chops, and we did this last week.

It’s an easy recipe, and it’s so much fun to set the boys loose with plastic hammers and a ziploc bag full of Ritz crackers. 

May2011 092

Crush a bunch of Ritz crackers inside a ziplock bag.
Add in garlic salt and pepper to taste.
Whisk an egg or two in a large, flat container.
Dip pork chops in egg.
Dip pork chops in cracker crumbs.
Drizzle with melted butter.
Place in baking dish, and bake at 375 for 30 – 45 minutes.

This is the first time I let Alex help with the raw foods part.  He whisked the eggs for me, and he helped me dip the pork chops in the eggs.  (He’s not licking egg or raw meat; I promise!  He was putting up his hand to stop me from taking the picture.)

May2011 094  May2011 091  

They also LOVE to help with desserts!  Here they are licking the spoons after making (dairy, egg, and nut-free) chocolate pudding cake.  We love the ooey-gooey consistency when you make it with rice milk, but it works fine with soy or cow’s milk too.  This is one of our favorite desserts!

May2011 106 May2011 104 May2011 105

What are YOUR favorites when your kids are helping you in the kitchen?

3 comments:

Julie said...

You've got great timing! I was just blogging (and asking for ideas) about kids in the kitchen today too. I love the breaded pork chop idea! We'll have to give that a try sometime soon.

We haven't tried much in terms of actual food, but my little guy made his own rainbow pudding pops today.
http://fumblingthroughparenthood.blogspot.com/2011/06/rainbow-popsicles-made-by-almost-3-yr.html

Anonymous said...

What fun!! Sammy loves to help in the kitchen as well!

Kat said...

Sami loves to help me in the kitchen. I must admit most times I am too rushed to really enjoy the experience together...

She did help me make soup for a certain family we love who has a sick little boy...I was amazed at her math skills. I love watching kids learn through everyday life! <3