Sunday, October 23, 2011

Making Baby Food

This little sweetie likes to eat!  I started her on cereal at 5 months, then added fruits & veggies a few weeks later.  Most days, she really enjoys her food!

October2011 089

When Alex was little, I made almost all of his baby food.  It was mainly for the sake of saving money.  I planned to do the same when Max was small, but on the day that I tried, our blender exploded and sent shards of plastic all around the kitchen.  So much for that plan!  He was our Gerber baby. :)

We have a new blender now, so out came the bags of frozen veggies!  The boys were all excited to help.  We steamed the veggies, then tossed them into the blender with a little rice milk and some brown rice cereal.  (Why?  I don’t know!  That’s just how I do it.)  October2011 090

Alex lined up the old Gerber containers, I filled them, and Max put on the lids.  Who knew that making baby food would be a fun family activity?

October2011 091

For approximately $3, we made 14 containers of vegetables for Jensyn.  I’d say it’s worth the 30 minutes we spent on this project! 

And Jensyn?  Well, she’s glad we did it, too!

October2011 092

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun that the boys go to help! I loved making baby food for Sammy :-)

Marlynn said...

hmm...maybe I'll have to try that, especially if it saves that much money!!

I've given in and started feeding my baby solids, I held out as long as I could, due to the fact I didn't want to add another to do thing to my list. :)

Unknown said...

Your kids are SO cute! We love making babyfood too =) Marlynn - Both Kim and I made / make our babies food and it is easy and saves money, not to mention give you tons more options of combinations.

Mrs. Darling said...

My hubby and I were just talking last night about making baby food. He said everyone looks at him like he has two heads when he tells them we never bought baby food. It's so much easier to just mash up the food we already had on hand.

Emma Hamstra said...

Great job being healthy and saving money!