Friday, March 19, 2010

The Dreaded Dentist

Well, maybe I shouldn’t say that…Alex didn’t dread the dentist. Mama did. Alex HATES having his teeth brushed. He’ll let you brush the bottom ones, but he has a huge meltdown every night when we try to brush his top teeth. Oh, it’s such a struggle!

We decided that it would be best to take Alex to a pediatric dentist. Yesterday was the day. Aunt Deb took Max, and Grandma S came to Deb’s house to spend time with them, too. Alex and I headed off to the dentist’s office. I have only positive comments for this place! If you live in the area, I’d be glad to recommend Dr. Karr for your kiddos!

Keith and I explained to Alex the night before that it would be kind of like going to the doctor, but they only want to see your teeth. You open your mouth really wide, and the nurse counts your teeth for you. When you’re all done, you get a new toothbrush and you get a prize.

The hygeniest turned out to be someone I grew up with – we went to the same church, and that helped me feel comfortable with it all. Amy was so sweet with Alex, explained everything in words he could understand, and he did so well!

March2010 252

Alex bravely climbed up into the chair, opened his mouth willingly, and said, “ahh”. He got just a little nervous, and he asked me to hold his hand for a bit. He was really obedient and sat so still. I’m so very proud of him!

(He’s proudly holding his new choo-choo-train toothbrush.)March2010 255

He cracked me up as Amy was putting the flouride on his teeth. There he sat, mouth wide open, with the funniest look on his face. With Amy’s fingers in his mouth, Alex managed to say, “Willy thticky!!!!!!!!” (really sticky)

After he was finished, we visited the prize box. His first choice was a flowery purple bracelet. I suggested that he keep digging, and his next choice was a Disney Princess frisbee. Oh yeah, buddy, keep digging! He ended up with a little yellow race car, but I’m not sure it’s what he really wanted. (His only other choices were pencils and flimsy plastic army guys.)

March2010 256

Afterwards, we went back to Aunt Deb’s house for lunch with Deb & Grandma. We also walked to the little park across the street, where Alex had a great time! Thanks, Grandma & Debbie, for a fun day!

March2010 273March2010 267March2010 262March2010 264March2010 261

1 comment:

Kat said...

Good job Alex! =)