Friday, February 15, 2013

MFW K – Hh Horse

{CLICK HERE} to view the rest of our MFW K unit posts.
{CLICK HERE} to view our post explaining WHY we chose MFW K for our family.


Alex is 5 years, 1 month
Max is 3 years, 5 months

We are using My Father’s World Kindergarten as our base,
adding in some of my own printables. 

prekindergarten
This week, we are learning the letter Hh for  horse.
Our Bible words are: I obey right away!

Poor boy had to sleep in the living room with Mommy
so we didn’t keep anyone else awake with his nebulizer during the night.
On the bright side, ‘sick days’ mean extra TV when you wake up Smile
IMG_7853

books
This is where I admit that I dropped the ball this week.  Between a busy weekend of parties, and a week with the stomach flu, and croup/asthma issues, we didn’t get to the library.  We had to work with the one book that we already own.  Good thing that it’s a neat story!
bible
enjoying a snack while Mommy reads
about Jonah learning to obey right away
IMG_7855
phonics
IMG_7790IMG_7808
IMG_7813IMG_7809
IMG_7842
A bit from All About Reading:
He thought the nonsense words in the Word Flipper were pretty funny!
(Please note that I don’t feel that additional phonics are necessary with MFW K; we had the opportunity to review this program, and I planned to begin it anyway after completing MFW K, so we are getting a head start.)
IMG_7849IMG_7852
handwriting
We said that making an H is like making 2 walls, and then adding a bridge to connect them.
Making an h is like making 1 wall, and then making a train tunnel.
It worked like a charm, and he made excellent letters!
IMG_7791
sometimes he made the ‘tunnel’ too tall on the lowercase h
IMG_7839IMG_7840
 math
“Alex The Builder” likes making 14s!
(Last week, I taught Spiderman…I just never know who might be in my class, ha ha!)
IMG_7810IMG_7812
weight & size
IMG_7856IMG_7857
This week, instead of the cuisenaire rods,
we did a tangram book with horse & goat pictures.
IMG_7859IMG_7858
science
animal classification
IMG_7848
IMG_7847IMG_7845
art
This is one of those activities that really proves to me that MFW K can effectively teach math without daily workbook pages.  I’m really glad we didn’t supplement – it’s much more fun getting an introduction to math through hands-on learning!  (Unfortunately, I didn’t take pictures of the beginning stages of this project, but trust me – it’s FUN math!)
measurement/art combination

measuring and cutting rectangles (with LOTS of help)
& deciding how to put the rectangles together to form a horse
IMG_7844
other

Alex had fun making valentines on the computer & addressing the envelopes.
I love his wobbly handwriting – it melts my heart!

We also made dinner for someone from church,
and the kids colored pictures to make her a get well card.
I love the opportunities to teach my kids about serving others!
(This was before our house got struck with sickness, thank goodness!)
IMG_7841

Valentines Day Fun!
IMG_7803  IMG_7828
tot school 
(Max is 3 yrs, 5 months)
We didn’t have any “notebook school” at the table, but we had plenty of learning fun.
Jensyn had her first turn to help Mommy bake.
IMG_7815

Max & Jensyn had a BALL learning to build things with our new (to us, anyway) unifix cubes that a friend found at Goodwill.
IMG_7826IMG_7827
We traced and cut hearts from construction paper
to make a pretty banner to brighten up the kitchen.
Max could actually do this!
Jensyn…well…she had fun thinking she was doing it Smile
IMG_7806IMG_7807

We may be linking up with the following blogs:
Tot School

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful week! I hope everyone is on the mends soon!! Love that picture of Jensyn "working"!