I realize that Alex turned one on December 26th, and I'm just now getting around to posting it in mid-January. There are two reasons...
1) I am in denial. He can't be one. Not possible.
2) We just celebrated his birthday on Sunday.
My baby boy sure has changed a lot in the past year! He is no longer a helpless little bundle in our arms. He has words, signs, expressions, and opinions. He is curious, energetic, and fun. He is a climber, a fast crawler, and a trouble-finder. He makes us laugh every single day.
I cuddled a 6 month old in nursery a few weeks back, and she just seemed so tiny and helpless. Only 6 months ago, that was my Alex? Wow. There are moments that drag, but time sure flies!
So, my big boy, here's a quick "year in review" of some of my favorite photos from your first year...in reverse order, to shrink you ;)
September 2008 August 2008
- mama (I'm always Mama)
- daddy (dah-dee or 'mom', who knows why...)
- grandma (sometimes mamma, sometimes gamma)
- cracker (crahkuh, which really refers to anything he wants to eat)
- cup-cup (kuh-kuh, not to be confused with cracker)
- car (kah)
- truck (kuck)
- milk (guck)
- up (bup)
- bath (but he only said this one night)
- bye bye (Bah Bah)
- Maggie (inconsistently, sometimes 'Maggie', sometimes 'puppy')
- vroom-vroom (voom-voom)
- Yay (only once in a while)
- Bob (says it all the time, but it doesn't mean anything to us)
Signs at 12.5 months:
- more (just started yesterday)
- please (but won't use it at the right time)
- all done
- graham crackers/teddy grahams
- club crackers
- froot loops
- sloppy joe meat
- jelly on wheat bread
- still not a big cup-cup fan, but will drink watered-down white grape juice
- loves spicy foods, strange baby! I love how the baby books tell you not to add spices to a baby's food. They don't know Alex.
- Fisher Price musical table
- cars, trucks, and all things with wheels (he's lovin' the new train, Aunt Deb)
- cell phones & remotes (sigh)
- musical piano (which he's only allowed to use while I take a shower, so it's a novelty and he lets me take a 20 minute shower!)
- wood blocks (but only because they go "bang" when you hit them together)
- He plays with most of his toys, but the above list is definitely getting most of his attention right now.
Favorite Things To Do:
- Look at the picture of Nana on the fridge & call her by name (20 times a day or more!!)
- Look at the family pictures hanging in the front hallway and smile at everyone
- try to play with the dehumidifier when Mama's not looking
- open the kitchen drawer & pull out all the clean towels & washcloths
- grab the cordless phone off the end table
- clap his hands when he hears cheering or sees clapping on TV
- watch his "Signing Times" video (2 or 3 times a week at most)
- watch "Yo Gabba Gabba" (1 or 2 times a week at most)
- crawl around with Daddy
- turn on/off the CD player in his bedroom
- climb, even if he has to stack his toys and climb them
- push a kitchen chair in front of him to walk through the kitchen (or stand outside his walker & push it, or push his musical table while walking, etc.)
- takes 2 naps a day, about 45 minutes to an hour each
- sleeps from 8/8:30 PM until 7-ish AM, waking around 5 AM to nurse
- He is go, go, go all day long
- He is often complimented for being a very good baby in waiting rooms, restaurants, etc. We'll see how long that lasts!
- loves to hear stories before naptime
- loves to dive headfirst off of our laps, off of our bed, etc.
- curious about everything - must touch it, try it, see it, hold it, etc. Seems to want to know how everything works
- still allergic to milk, as far as we can tell. He had allergy testing done last week, and we're still waiting on the results, but I'd say hives & eczema are pretty good signs of an allergy
- 18.6 lbs at one year, smaller than his doctor would like, but blood tests show he is healthy
- using his 'big boy' car seat, although it's still rear-facing until he hits 20 lbs
- just started waking happily in the morning, talking in his crib, rather than crying for us
- loves to grocery shop with Mama, babbling loudly all the way through the store while people watching
- loves to see babies & kids on TV